[Bldg-sim] Minimum Requirement of Thermal Performance of Proposed Building Envelope

via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Sep 14 10:44:57 PDT 2016

More broadly speaking:  The opening passages to Appendix G are clear in stating Appendix G is NOT a path to demonstrate compliance with the standard.  If you or your reviewer are interpreting the performance rating method as a way of demonstrating compliance, there is a disconnect to resolve.

The comment you received however might be “correct” if besides demonstrating the buildings performance rating, you must also demonstrate prescriptive compliance with 90.1.

I’d advise answering conclusively whether prescriptive compliance documentation for 90.1 is something you’re supposed to be delivering, or not.  If so, I’d point you next towards COMcheck to efficiently evaluate the envelope trade-off alternative to meeting all of the minimums in the tables.

~Nick

Nick Caton, P.E.

  Senior Energy Engineer
  Energy and Sustainability Services