[Bldg-sim] Weather Station recommendations

Joe Huang via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Fri Nov 11 18:09:18 PST 2016

As the co-author of the Zhang-Huang Model, I can say that the information in your first
sentence is garbled.  The ZHM calculates the global horizontal radiation based on various
climatic parameters, i.e., cloud cover, temperature change over 3 hours, wind speed, etc.
It is NOT used to derive the direct/diffuse split, so I don't understand how that has
gotten into the EnergyPlus documentation. I have mentioned this misunderstanding to
members of the EnergyPlus Team five years ago or so, but it seems it still persists.

A week or so ago I read that the Perez Model is used only for hourly data, which raises
the question how the direct/diffuse split is done when there's subhourly GHI data?

Lastly, I would also add a caution that all-sky modeling, i.e., solar radiation under
non-clear conditions, is still an evolving topic, and that just because the results didn't
make EnergyPlus crash it doesn't necessarily mean that they're right.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A