[Bldg-sim] Weather Station recommendations

David Reddy via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Fri Nov 11 11:59:53 PST 2016

Vikram,

At least for solar radiation, my thesis work included a brief side-track
into comparing the precision of Davis's solar sensor
<http://www.davisnet.com/product/solar-radiation-sensor/> to a classic
Eppley pyranometer
<http://www.eppleylab.com/instrument-list/standard-precision-pyranometer/>
in measuring global horz radiation (GHorz).  I also compared these
measurements to the values in a commercial AMY weather file. I found
really good correlation between the two sensors under a range of
conditions for a site in Bellingham, WA.  For this reason, I would not
hesitate to use this sensor for a project-based weather station.
Davis's VantageProPlus
<http://www.davisnet.com/solution/vantage-pro2-plus/> comes with this
sensor, but I think you can add it on to some of their other stations as
well.  The sensor outputs a voltage proportional to the solar radiation,
so really, it can be used with any DAQ system that is good at measuring
DC voltage.  Some of the personal weather stations in the Weather
Underground network report solar radiation and the other data you are
seeking, so you might look around for one of those in the area first
before starting your own.

One product I've been tracking is BloomSky
<https://www.bloomsky.com/product>.  I think it would be really cool if
this product included a solar radiation sensor, or alternatively,
included a calculation of cloud cover from the images it collects, which
in turn could be used in algorithms to estimate GHorz (Joe Huang's idea,
not mine).

David