[Bldg-sim] 90.1-2013 vs 2015 IECC Performance Path Compliance

Elizabeth Gillmor via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Mon May 2 10:38:23 PDT 2016

I just did a little seminar on this very topic for our Rocky Mountain
ASHRAE tech conference last week.  There are a few other key differences in
90.1:

- Mandatory occupancy and daylighting controls in parking garages
- Bi-level occ sensors required in stairwells
- Slightly more stringent cooling efficiency requirements (full load and
part load, also slightly lower economizer thresholds). Differences in heat
pumps as well I believe.
- More stringent envelope requirements (walls and windows). Also note
limits to E/W glazing which may require that you rotate/average the
baseline.

Other important items to note:

- A90.1 has MANDATORY electrical submetering requirements (separate
monitoring for lighting, receptacles, and HVAC, plus some whole-building
requirements) -- this is a biggie. Read section 8-Power thoroughly!
- You CAN take credit for renewable energy (up to 5%)
- A90.1 does not have the same commissioning requirements
- A90.1 allows extra lighting credit for room geometry adjustments and some
extra lighting controls (see control factor table), whereas IECC does not

This is not a comprehensive list but those are the big ones that jump out.
Whichever method you choose, make sure you are using the space-by-space
method for lighting (it will almost always come out better than
whole-building).

Cheers,
Elizabeth

*Elizabeth Gillmor  PE, BEMP, LC, LEED AP*

*e n e r g e t i c s  **consulting engineers, llc*
energetics-eng.com | 303.619.0091