[Bldg-sim] 90.1-2013 vs 2015 IECC Performance Path Compliance

Rosenberg, Michael I via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Mon May 2 10:48:07 PDT 2016

I think the reason for the 15% is that the IECC performance path has not kept pace with improvements to the prescriptive requirement in the rest of the IECC for several cycles. Things like insulation requirements, light power allowance, and HVAC equipment efficiency get updated automatically when the tables the performance path reference get updated. However, there are lots of other prescriptive requirements that have been added to the IECC that have not been captured by the performance path. A few that come to mind include:

1.       30% window to wall ratio limit C402.4.1

2.       Variable speed fans on single zone systems C403.4.1.1

3.       Skylights and daylighting controls for large high bay spaces

4.       Heat recovery required for large service water heating systems C403.4.5

5.       Boiler turndown requirements C403.4.2.5

6.       Additional efficiency options C406

7.       High input service water heating efficiency C404.2.1
I don’t really think it has anything to do with keeping up with ASHRAE 90.1.

Michael Rosenberg, CEM, LEED AP
Senior Research Scientist
ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT DIRECTORATE

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory