[TRNSYS-users] Multi-obj Opt.

Luke Witmer via TRNSYS-users trnsys-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Tue May 17 12:15:17 PDT 2016

Chaminda,

If you want to leverage TRNSHD with the TRNSYS3D SketchUp Plugin, you will
need to model the PVs as windows (on each roof surface), as the shading
insolation matrix is only applied to window surfaces. Also, the surrounding
building objects need to be modeled as shading objects, as I don't think
generic walls will be accounted for in the shading matrix calculations.
Then you can specify a window material made of nothing so that irradiance
passing through is not reduced by the window material. After that, you can
have the irradiance passing through that window (representing your pv
aperture), reduced by shading objects, as an output to compare against
different configurations or to pass to an actual pv model (though this
number would only be valid in a pv model if your pv panels have advanced
power electronics to reduce partial shading losses). I hope that helps and
is clear enough.

If anyone has a better way to do this, I'd be interested to know as well. I
know there are specific components for inter-row pv shading calcs, but
those don't account for nearby objects.

Best,
Luke