[TRNSYS-users] PID controller problem - TRNSYS Message 315

Michaël Kummert michael.kummert at polymtl.ca
Sun Feb 26 12:11:51 PST 2023

the likely cause of the warning is that you are using the PID controller
(Type 23) in “real time” mode (Mode 0) and that you built your project by
adding some of the controlled components (components which use the PID
output) after you added the PID to the project.

In Mode 0, the controller calculates its output at each iteration within a
given time step, but only applies the result (i.e. updates its output) after
convergence has been reached, so that the calculated control signal is
applied at the next time step, not at the current time step.

When you use that mode, if the PID is placed before the component it
controls in the “calling order” of TRNSYS, the controlled component will
receive a non-updated output (which is exactly what you want). TRNSYS warns
you about it, and the message is clear that it’s not necessarily an error
but it’s unusual – and it could be an error in some specific cases.

In this case the behaviour is not an error, so you can safely ignore the
warning, but if you want to suppress it, the easy way is to make sure that
the PID controllers are located after all components they control in the
input file. You can change that in “Component Order” in the Studio (Gear
icon or Assembly > Settings, then Component Order). Just drag all PIDs below
the components they control. By default, components are placed in that list
in the order you add them to the project, so this may explain that some
early versions of your project were not causing any warning (because the
PIDs were added after the components using them).

Michaël Kummert

Polytechnique Montréal