[TRNSYS-users] Custom radiation data input and type 56 troubleshooting

NADER, KATJA E. (Student) katja.e.nader at durham.ac.uk
Tue Apr 18 09:55:51 PDT 2023

Dear TRNSYS user,

I hope you may be able to help you, I am a bit lost at this point.
I am trying to simulate a quite alternative project, for which I have custom solar radiation data in terms of solar elevation and azimuth values in varying heights over the year. I want to connect these to a type 56 multizone building as the inputs for that need the angles and ambiant conditions (which I can take as constant). Very important to me is that I want to 'ignore' all atmospheric influences, eg. diffuse radiation. This basically gets me into two problems.

  1.  I happen to get an error message reading "The GetRadiationData routine has been called with a unit number which is not in the GlobalRadiationData array.". If I connect a type 16 radiation processor in between these types, this error disappears. Therefore I assume the weather data components and radiation processors allocate and fill this GlobalRadiationData array on which type 56 depends. Is there a workaround to this? I am afraid type 16 will alter my data, since right now I basically calculate my GHI and Direct Beam Irradiance to just get zenith and azimuth angles again, with which I started. And I can't quite be sure that no diffusion will be added, since it asks for lattitude as an input.
  2.  Even if I connect and mitigate the effects of type 16, I get the following error: "Outside temperature iteration of external surfaces (SURF = 3) of airnode 1 at time 1.00 caused error." What does that mean? Surface 3 is an external wall, but so is surface 2, so only the orientation is different. Could that cause an error?

I would be endlessly grateful for help on these, as they don't really provide a lot of hints on what could have gone wrong and I couldn't find help in the documentation either.
Best wishes,
Katja Nader