[TRNSYS-users] Troubleshooting a fan coil system connected to a ground heat exchanger.

dimitris soukoulis saintdimi at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 15 06:35:11 PDT 2022

Dear All,

In my attempt to simulate a simple heating system including the type 997 “ground heat exchanger” and the type 137 “fan coil unit”, I encountered some problems which I will explain below. Please note that the initial system included the type 927 “Water heat pump”, but was removed for troubleshooting purposes (which I wont describe here for  text economy reasons) and I intend to add again in a following step. So the problems are :

  1.  The ground heat exchanger didn’t seem to have any effect on the water’s temperature (inlet and outlet temps where plotted and found equal). The water exits the fan coil then enters the exchanger to reject or gain heat and then re-enters the coil to condition the air flowing through the coils. Shouldn’t I see some temperature change in that cycle of the water?
  2.  The fan coil doesn’t have the slightest effect on the room temperature ( ZONE A1) even thought the water that passes through its coil has a temperature difference with the room’s air .
Am I doing something wrong here ? I cannot seem to figure out what that is. Maybe a problem with the default external files used in the mentioned components ?
I am attaching the files being used in the simulation. The external files used by the fan coil and ground heat exchanger are the default ones.
Any help or insight will be much appreciated ! Thank you all in advance.

Jim Soukoulis,
National Technical University of Athens.