[TRNSYS-users] type 56 : Phantom Walls and boundary condition

[Student] Julien Dolaïs Julien.Dolais at cranfield.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 09:37:48 PDT 2021

Dear TRNSYS users,

I was trying to check some results from TRNSYS with trnBuild (type 56) with this simple example: one area with a floor and only 1 wall (concrete) facing north.

So I was expecting a result where my area temperature is more or less close to the air temperature. When I plot it, it is completely different, the area temperature is around 10°C higher than the air temperature.

So, I would like to know if trnsys consider some Phantom Walls in order to have a closed area. How can we delete them when we add our Walls ?

My second question is about the boundary walls. If I define a wall using a boundary wall, how can I indicate to trnsys if my wall is in fact a floor, a ceiling (but with another building above) or a vertical wall close to a heat source (with a certain temperature) ?

I don’t understand how trnsys knows the orientation (vertical, horizontal) and the position in the space of the wall.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind regards,

Julien D.