[TRNSYS-users] Thermal mass of glazings

Freppel, Wirich Wirich.Freppel at saint-gobain.com
Fri Jul 16 01:01:54 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

As I am conducting thermal simulation in a high glazed zone (conservatory), I am concerned about thermal mass of glazings. According to the documentation, thermal mass is set as null for glazings.
But, after a hard work of fitting between my simulation model and some experimental data, I noticed that my simulation model is "lighter" than the experimental one (air temperature variates more reactively in simulation).
So, I calculated the thermal mass of all inner glazings (well I approximated it) and added the result to the zone capacitance. The result is very encouraging and I'm quite happy with the simulation model as it is set now. However, I would like to have your feedback on this. What would be your judgment on this method as thermal experts and is there another way to add a thermal mass to the glazings ?

Best regards

[02]
Wirich FREPPEL Ph.D
Development engineer
COSMOS - Buildings Energy Performance & Daylighting Group
[cid:image006.jpg at 01D77A29.9AAC7440]
[TIRET.jpg]

SAINT-GOBAIN RESEARCH COMPIEGNE
1 rue de Montluçon * BP 40103 * 60777 Thourotte * France
Tel: +33 637 053 174
E-mail: wirich.freppel at saint-gobain.com
www.saint-gobain.com

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D77A29.9AAC7440]

Confidential - Property of Saint-Gobain, the information contained herein are considered confidential.
Their presentation or reproduction is prohibited without the prior written consent of the sender or author.