[TRNSYS-users] Question to TRNSYS forum

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Wed Jul 14 13:06:40 PDT 2021

<You have to modify the fortran code since the properties should be
function of temperature. The current form considers them as constant
parameter. You can add an input variable and its related formula instead
of the constant parameter to consider the effect.>

Unfortunately, that's the easy part. The model was developed with the
concept of fixed properties and when temperature-based fluid properties
are used the entire fundamental equation changes. Take for example a
constant volume storage tank. The governing equation is d(MCpT)/dt = Qin
- Qout

The d(MCpT)/dt term can be broken out as:

d(MCpT)/dt = M Cp dT/dt + M T dCp/dt + Cp T dM/dt

For constant properties dCp/dt =0, dM/dt = 0 and it reduces to M Cp
dT/dt = Qin + Qout

But when Cp = f(T) and Mass = f(T) due to the density change then we
have to chain rule everything:

dCp/dt = dCp/dT * dT/dt

dM/dt = dM/dT * dT/dt where M = Density * Volume

M Cp dT/dt + M T dCp/dT dT/dt + Cp T dM/dT dT/dt

And what was a somewhat easy differential equation to solve is now much
more difficult. So you'll have to derive and solve a brand new equation
for the collector.

But then it's critical to remember that every other model that this
fluid flows through needs to be changed: pipes, tanks, valves etc....

I would strongly suggest that you investigate the performance at the
extremes of the properties and see how much of a change the properties
make on the system performance. Hopefully you'll find that it's a small
change and constant properties will then work just fine....

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
3 N. Pinckney Street, Suite 202, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com