[TRNSYS-users] Mechanical ventilation strategies using TRNSYS and CONTAM

Kulhalli, M.S. m.s.kulhalli at student.tue.nl
Fri Oct 16 07:44:59 PDT 2020

Hello TRNSYS/CONTAM users,

I am working on the development of a double skin façade system and possibilities of harvesting thermal energy from the cavity. I have been able to create simpler versions of this system in a TRNSYS model (using natural ventilation mode) and this worked well in combination with CONTAM using Type56 and Type98.

One of the usage strategies involves installing a fan in the cavity for forced ventilation and eventually, I want to increase the complexity to also allow coupling of the DSF cavity air to an air sourced heat pump (for use in building ventilation purposes). It could then involve modulating the flow rate based on, for example, the temperature conditions. However, since the airflow and the thermal models are 'separately' dealt with in CONTAM and TRNSYS respectively, the flexibility I'm able to achieve with using TRNSYS components for ventilation (Fans in Type 147 and ASHP in Type 119a) and modulation (using control signals or equations) does not extend to CONTAM. The best I could do was add a constant mass or volumetric flow rate fan in CONTAM, which I could not control from within TRNSYS, if I would like to modulate the flow rates based on certain conditions.

Does anyone have any suggestions or success stories in making this coupling possible?

Best regards,
Meghana Kulhalli