[TRNSYS-users] Regarding the wall gain

asmin aryal asmin1243 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 01:20:31 PST 2020

Dear all,

I want to calculate the wall gains or heat gain from the building envelope
for my building type 56 with one zone/ air node. I read "Volume 5
Multi-zone Building modeling with Type56 and TRNBuild". I stumbled upon the
energy balance equation where all the energy coming in and out are written.
The equation is (NTYPE 904)

B4_QBAL =- B4_DQAIRdt + B4_QHEAT - B4_QCOOL + B4_QINF + B4_QVENT + B4_QCOUP
+ B4_QTRANS + B4_QGINT + B4_QWGAIN + B4_QSOL + B4_QSOLAIR [kJ/hr].

I printed this balance as Energy_zone.BAL. When i checked the file
B4_QWGAIN is 0 and B$_QSOLAIR is also 0. Why are they zero?

So, I was wondering what B4_Qwgain is? ( I am particularly interested in it
because i need to calculate the heat gain through the envelope).

As per what I have read from the manual it says, wall gain is something
that is fed by the user (can’t it be calculated by TRNSYS). (Should i feed
it when defining the wall type as in fig? (surface gain inside and surface
gain inside?)
[image: image.png]

My question is how to calculated the heat gain from the building envelope?

I need it because of the cooling load that I calculated for my system
(CHILLED CEILING + DOAS) is too low as compared to thumb rule calculation.

Is my cooling load low due to not keeping any value in geosurf? What value
should i use for geosurf?

Thanking you in anticipation

Ashmin Aryal