[TRNSYS-users] The TRNSYS Quiz

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Wed Sep 19 15:08:56 PDT 2018

TRNSYS Users,

I wanted to thank all of our users that proposed solutions to the first
ever TESS/TRNSYS pop quiz! We had several unique solutions and several
excellent responses to the quiz. If you tried to solve the problem you
likely realized that it was a bit trickier than it looked at first
glance. There were two common solutions that were proposed, to use the
Input Delay Controller and to use the TESS Runtime Calculator model.
Both solutions will work equally well but the Runtime Calculator
approach is much more flexible if you ever need to change the simulation
timestep. One of the keys to this exercise was to remember that the time
notation in TRNSYS represents the end of the simulation timestep. For
example, Time=2 represents the time period from 1.875 to 2.000 with an
1/8th hour timestep. This tripped up a few of our submittals that were
otherwise substantially correct.

You can check out one of our solutions to the problem in the attached
project file.

So without further ado, the winners of the $100 TESS credit are:

Roel Loonen, University of Eindhoven in the most creative solution
category and Professor MK (wishes to remain anonymous so his students
aren't aware that he wasn't working on their homework) for the best
solution. Professor MK is a long time TRNSYS user and and is well known
to this technical support forum. Congratulations to you both and please
let us know how/when you'd like to cash in your award!

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
3 N. Pinckney Street, Suite 202, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com