[TRNSYS-users] QTSABS vs QSOLTR

hotline hotline at Transsolar.com
Thu Nov 29 05:29:34 PST 2018

Dear Karol,

I have to confess that this is a little confusing.
For better understanding of the differences of QSOLTR and QTSABS it is important to understand the considered "parts".

QSOLTR is the total shortwave solar radiation transmitted through all external windows including shading device into the airnode.
Then in the airnode this radiation is distributed to surfaces (taking into reflection). (For simplicity reasons we assume that there are no adjacent windows).

As a results QSOLTR is either
a) immediately transferred as convective heat gain to the internal air (= Qsolair, doesn't exist in Trnsys 17) or is
b) absorbed by walls or
b) is absorbed by windows (panes, frame and internal shading devices) as radiation leaves (!) the airnode to the outside or
c) is transmitted to the outside (= QTSOUT, NType 73)

QTSABS (NType 75) consists of

  1.  solar radiation is absorbed by walls and
  2.  the secondary heat flux of windows (panes, frame and internal shading devices) ( = QSEC, NType 56).
In this case the secondary heat flux is the part of solar radiation that is absorbed by windows when solar radiation is entering and leaving the airnode
and going inside to the airnode.

Thus, QSOLTR and QTSABS consider different parts of the solar radiation.
I assume you are looking something like QSOLTR - QTSOUT.

I hope this explanation helps.

Kind regards,

Marion