[TRNSYS-users] Input solar radiation onto windows surfaces

Weber Daniel webedani at student.ethz.ch
Tue Jun 19 16:26:45 PDT 2018

Hi TRNSYS Team,

I am using Type 56 for a 3D multizone building model. My building has quite a complex glass geometry, therefore I am calculating the solar radiation on the windows in Rhino/Grasshopper/Ladybug. Now I would, preferrably, like to input this solar radiation onto the windows OUTSIDE surfaces in TRNBuild and thus take advantage of TRNBuilds sophisticated window model. Is there any way to do it this way?

Otherwise, I had in mind to just convert the solar radiation onto the windows with a simple equation to heat gains to the room and input them directly to the thermal nodes in TRNBuild. Additionally, I would still model the windows for thermal heat flux calculations to the ambient, but make them totally opaque (define windows with g value of 0).

Do you have any inputs for this problem?

Thank you and best regards,

Daniel Weber