[TRNSYS-users] Doubt on the codes of some TESS Unglazed collector models

Javier Vega jvega025 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:45:34 PST 2018

Hi TRNSYS users,

I was just checking the codes of Type 553 and Type 1290 (Unglazed Solar
Collector models) and something grabbed my attention. When both models do
the Net Long Wave Radiation Balance, they do the following:

!Account for the long wave losses from the collector surface
 T_ambient_K = T_ambient+273.15
 T_sky_K = T_sky+273.15
 Sigma = 3.6*5.67d-08   !Stefan Boltmann constant
 Net_Longwave = Sigma*(T_ambient_K**4.-T_sky_K**4.)*Emissivity/Absorptance

That is a copy/paste of Type 553.

Why the Net Long Wave is defined with the Ambient Temperature and not with
the Collector  Average Temperature? It doesn't make sense to me. Is there
something I'm uderstanding wrong?

Bests of wishes,

Javier Vega Benavente
Universidad de Concepción, Chile.