[TRNSYS-users] HELP on type 557

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Wed Feb 7 14:08:14 PST 2018

Maria,

Type 557 does have some optional outputs for the storage volume - but
they aren't down the depth of the boreholes but rather across the radial
regions of the storage volume. You can reference the source code for
Type 557 and add these outputs to the proforma if you'd like. Search for
"OUT("

There is also an option to print to an external data file and this can
print the temperatures of the field - but it's a bit harder to decipher.
I would suggest reading the documentation provided by the authors for
the Stand Alone version of DST as it explains some of this in greater
detail. Then reference the source code for the details of this
particular version.

However - if you are using the vertical u-tube borehole instance with
the thermal resistance calculated (Type557a) we have a proforma with all
of that already done. Let me know if you'd like it.

As for the energy flow outputs there is an explanation. The model relies
on several solution techniques and solves the various pieces (near the
bores, storage volume, boundary soil) at different time bases. The
energy flow are calculated on a medium timebase. So when you see a
non-zero output it indicates that that part of the model has been
solved. You don't need to interpolate this result as the energy flow has
been reported as a rate (total over the multi-timestep period divided by
the current timestep. To get the total energy simply integrate the
individual energy flows.

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
22 N. Carroll Street, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com

On 02/07/2018 2:52 pm, Maria Ferrara via TRNSYS-users wrote:

> Hello TrnsysUsers,
>
> is there someone having experience with type 557?
>
> We are trying to use it but there are some issues:
>
> - it seems like the type is able to calculate the temperatures along ten points along the entire borehole depth, but I cannot see them in the outputs. Is it possible to get them in some way?
> - when printing the various heat loss through top, side and bottom of the storage, it seems like they are 0 for the greatest part of timesteps except for some timesteps (around one every 8 hours, but it is not a regular interval) where they jumps up (or down) to a value. How can I interprete this? Should I interpolate the values? This is not clear at all.
>
> I would really appreciate whoever can help.
>
> Thank you
>
> Maria
>
> MARIA FERRARA
> PhD Fellow - Energetics
> DENERG, Politecnico di Torino
> Corso Duca degli Abruzzi, 24 - 10129 Torino, Italy
> _Phone_: +39 011 0904552
> _Mobile:_ +39 340 6943161
> _E-mail_: maria.ferrara at polito.it

Links: