[TRNSYS-users] Inlet temperature of FP Collector

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Thu Oct 19 11:46:43 PDT 2017

The job of a solar collector is simply to collect energy. Adding
artificial controls that limit the inlet water temperature usually just
ends up limiting the collection of energy in our experience. A good
design will try to enhance stratification such that the collectors see
the lowest possible inlet temperature but artificially controlling the
system to maintain cold inlet temperatures is likely just reducing the
yield. Look at it this way, wouldn't you rather collect some energy -
even if it's at a lower efficiency due to higher inlet temperatures -
than have the system turned off trying to preserve the low inlet water
temperatures? That's why almost all SDHW system utilize a differential
controller that compares the collector temperature to the temperature
near the bottom of the storage tank; turning on the system when the
system can provide useful energy and turning the system off when the
collector yield falls off.

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
22 N. Carroll Street, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com

On 10/19/2017 3:36 am, Rm Chemilo via TRNSYS-users wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a question related to solar heating system. What kind of control or setting should I use to keep the inlet temperature of solar collector low? Somehow when I tried to apply the aquastat controller from the SDHW example in TRNSYS into my solar heating system, the inlet temperature really high.
>
> Please help me
>
> Regards

Links:
------