[TRNSYS-users] On using Type 653 radiant floor correctly

Javier Vega via TRNSYS-users trnsys-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Tue May 9 08:59:12 PDT 2017

Hello TRNSYS users,

I'm using a Type 653 radiant floor to transfer energy to a TRNSYS Type 56
building. I'm using the model in "Mode 1", which means the module is not
coupled to Type 56 but it computes all outputs through an energy balance.
Then, I transfer the energy to the thermal zone as a Gain Input.

My first design, lead me to set 1600 (kg/h) of water flow on Type 653.
Nonetheless, the system behaviour made me rise the flow to somewhat 2500
(kg/h) to meet thermal confort.

This would lead to water speeds to high in the circuit, so it's unrealistic*.
So I want to set the design to maybe 3 parallel circuits.*

*The thing is, I don't understand well how the module should be used then.
If I set 3 identical parallel circuits in Parameter 19, should I set in
Parameter 16 "Total pipe lenght" the sum of the 3 circuits or the length of
each one*?

*Either way, in both scenarios I obtain less energy gains than with a sole
circuit*. I don't really understand why this happens if the heat transfer
is considered with an effectiveness approach. It is supposedly the same
total inlet flow with the same temperature and the same effectiveness
assumption.

Kind regards,
Javier Vega

Libre