[TRNSYS-users] Modeling Trombe wall type with an Aluminium frame glazing

Antoine Gautier via TRNSYS-users trnsys-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Jun 21 07:12:15 PDT 2017

Hi Arian

I have recently worked on a naturally vented Trombe wall.

At first I used the multi-layer detailed window model from Type56 to compute the solar transmittance B3_QSTRNS/B3_QSEXT and U-value UWIN of the window (at each time step). Those two variables account for the impact of the frame.

But due to the simple glazing model in Type 36 (not accounting for low emissivity for instance) I ended up modeling the full system (glazing + cavity + massive wall) as a thermal zone in Type 56, using Type 36 only to compute the air flowrate and the convection coefficients inside the cavity. The uncertainty of the fully mixed assumption in Type 56 is (to my opinion) somehow compensated by the high air change rates for which the constant axial density gradient assumption of Type 36 seems as arbitrary. All in all the discrepancy on the annual total heat gain is lower than 15% from my analysis.

Best

--

Antoine Gautier

Solamen