[TRNSYS-users] optical effects in TRNSYS

Ismael Rodriguez Cal via TRNSYS-users trnsys-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Jul 26 07:59:31 PDT 2017

Dear all,

I am a new user of TRNSYS and I have some doubts about its capabilities for I want to do, so I decided to post the details here to check if the software will be able to do what I expect.

I am trying to simulate the energy and thermal balances of a building that includes PV panels and boosters in the roof.

I would like to include optical effects (I don't know if ray tracing is the most suitable technique here) in oder to optimize the PV panels performance based on the boosters location. Geometry will be buil using SketchUp.

The model should be able to give answer to the following questions:

How much light is being reflected from the boosters onto the PV panels and other zones?

How much is being reflected from the plastic film roof onto the PV panels

How much light is transmitted through the plastic film?

And similar info. Is TRNSYS capable of do such things? I have read that some researcher (some time ago) have implemented their own ray tracing FORTRAN code and included it into the Simulation Studio to include this optical effects. But I don't know if the new releases of TRNSYS have included these kind of models.

Could you please kindly provide some light on this issue with your feedback?

Thank you very much in advance.

My best,

TENSIAN