[TRNSYS-users] Design of heat power in type 56 (heating manager with limited power )in an intermittent set temperature scenario

Greg B via TRNSYS-users trnsys-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Apr 26 04:48:16 PDT 2017

Hello,

I'm currently modeling an old terraced building (construction type bricks / 8 zones / North Europa - Belgium) with a certain level of refurbishement (let's say an overall of 8cm insulation). I designed the heating power of the different zones, in the heating manger of type 56 in limited power, based on the heating losses by transmission and infiltration (design temperatures :  internal temp 20°C / external -10°C). But when I launch the simulation in winter in a intermittent set point scenario (0h-6h : 16°C 6-8h: 20°C 8h-15h :16°C 15h-22h:20°C 22h-0h :16°C) the recovery time is very high and in some cases it is not even possible to reach the high set point even after more than 8 hours.

I don't know if some of you experienced this same problem (such long recovery times)? I read in most of documentations that I have to oversize the heating power in order to have a reasonnable recovery time (let's say between 1 or 2 hours to reach the high set temperature). When I do this I have to oversize at least 30% of the original power and this seems quiet high, isn't it? Any idea or doucmentation about a such issue?

Thank you in adavance.

Best regards,

Grégoire