[TRNSYS-users] Question about ice storage tank or PCM tank

Katherine D'Avignon katherine.davignon at polymtl.ca
Thu Apr 14 07:12:06 PDT 2016

Hello,

You seem to be quite a few people interested in modeling ice storage systems. I do not know if a specific ice storage system model exists in TRNSYS but I do know of a few PCM storage tank models. Depending on the geometry of the ice storage tank you are interested in, one of the many different PCM models could do the trick. You should look into:

1. Stéphane Citherlet and Jacques Bony. Back in 2007 they published articles detailing a TRNSYS model of a vertical, cylindrical PCM storage tank (imagine a hot water tank with PCM capsules).

2. Puschnig, Heinz and Steicher. In 2005, they published an article on a TRNSYS model for a storage tank with PCM slurry. This would likely be the best model to represent an ice tank but again that depends on the geometry you have in mind.

3. IEA SHS Task 32. Many models were designed as part of this task.

4. Liu, Bruno and Saman also published an article in 2011 concerning an horizontal PCM storage tank with rectangular PCM capsules.

5. I also designed a TRNSYS model for an horizontal PCM storage tanks with rectangular capsules. The article presenting it and its validation is under review at the moment. I doubt it is the best geometry to model your ice tank but contact me if you think otherwise.

This should give you a good start. Good luck!

Katherine D’Avignon, Ph.D.