[TRNSYS-users] active layer

leen peeters l.f.r.peeters at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 02:24:15 PST 2015

Dear all,

we are using the active layer model of EMPA, built in in type 56, to
simulate a solar boiler of the type equal to floor heating. In our case we
used the auto segmentation leading to 3 different segments of the active
layer.
With 66 kg/h at 1,055 specific weight, inlet temperatures below 25 DC gave
a fluent simulation at 15 minutes timestep. However, once simulating with
higher inlet temperatures warmer climatic zones (e.g. Casablanca) fail at
around 3400 hours in the simulation. In this case, we get a specific
message that the inlet mass flow rate for the third part of the segmented
roof requires a minimum mass flow rate that is higher than the input one.
Opening the TRNBUILD file, the minimum is around 12 kg/h. The message in
the list file mentions a minimum of over 30. A smaller timestep did not
change the error.

Are we too close to the safety limits built in the EMPA model, or is there
another thing we forgot to take into account?

Thanks already!

Leen