[TRNSYS-users] Stratification in Tank Type534

Alaia Sola asola at irec.cat
Wed Jul 1 10:22:27 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,
I am using Type534 with Plug-in, inserting 1 port and 1 miscellaneous heat flow to it. My doubt is about temperatura stratification in the tank. Even if I increase the number of nodes, the temperature difference between the node where I insert the heat flow and the rest of the nodes is large. Also, even if remove the port and, consequently, simulate it as a tank without any inlet or outlet, the lower nodes barely increase their temperature (I want the miscellaneous heat flow in node 1 or 2), no matter the time length I run the simulation... The upper nodes do reach the desired temperature (I have a controller to the heater connected to miscellaneous heat flow for that) but the lower nodes remain almost at constant temperature. I tried to change the "inversion mixing flow rate" to both high and low values, negative and positive values, zero... but the changes in T of the nodes are not visible. I want to increase T of water in tank from 20ºC to 150ºC and I have a quite high water draw from the tank, thus I don't want that only one or two nodes reach 150ºC, but most or all of the tank instead... no matter how much time it takes to heat it up. But the lower nodes never heat up right now.
Which other parameter can I change so the stratification in the tank really works? Is there any other parameter to change rather than "inversion mixing flow rate" to get normal stratification? Should I use another type?
Thank you very much in advance.

Alaia Sola Saura
Project engineer
Thermal Energy and Building Performance Group

IREC
Institut de Recerca en Energia de Catalunya
T. 933 562 615 - 230
www.irec.cat<http://www.irec.cat/>