[TRNSYS-users] type 60pcm

Katherine D'Avignon katherine.davignon at polymtl.ca
Tue Oct 21 08:14:27 PDT 2014

Hello Oussama,

I have not heard of "Type60pcm".

However, I have heard of Type840 which can simulate a vertical tank
filled with PCM capsules of different shapes as well as a tank filled
with PCM slurry and a submerged heat exchanger. As far as I know,
Type840 has only been experimentally validated for the use of PCM
encapsulated in cylindrical containers.

I have also heard of Type842 which models a bulk PCM tank with an
immersed water-to-air heat exchanger which was developed by Andreas
Heinz at the Institute of Thermal Engineering in Graz University of
Technology.

Both these models were developed as part of IEA Solar Heating and
Cooling program task 32 but I have not yet used either of them. Enclosed
you will find Report C5 of Subtask C which explains each model in
detail. This document should also provide you with the names and contact
information from each model's authors if you wish to get access to these
models.

I have myself produced a TRNSYS model for a PCM storage tank but it is
for a horizontal storage tank with rectangular PCM capsules and might
not be what you are looking for.

I hope this will help you. If you don't mind me asking, what will you
use the models for? What are you working on?

Good luck!

*Katherine D'Avignon*
Candidate au doctorat
École Polytechnique de Montréal