[TRNSYS-users] Coldbridge effect and mixed geometry model

Verdiana Russo vrusso at irec.cat
Mon Mar 10 08:59:38 PDT 2014

Dear TRNSYS Users,

I have two questions about building simulation.

1)      I would like to introduce some coldbridge effects in a building model, created with Trnsys3D-SketchUp.

As I see, a way to do it is to add a new wall to the zone, and define it as Coldbridge.

To do this, the program asks me to change the geometry model from "3D" to "manual" or "mixed".

But in this way I lose the possibility to simulate with detailed internal and external radiation mode.

Do you know if there is another way to consider coldbridge effects, which functions with detailed radiation mode?

Is there anyone who tried to do it?

2)      In Volume 5 of the TRNsys Manual the difference between "3D", "manual" and "mixed" geometry mode is explained.

In "mixed" mode it says that only detailed external shading is considered.

As I understand from this, if I use this mode, I should need the shading matrix file to run the simulation and to consider external shading.

But I tried to run the simulation pulling out the .shm file from the folder where the .b17 file is, and the simulation runs without errors.

So I think that it does not need .shm file to function.

I pulled out the .ism, .shd too, and I see that it does not use them too.

So, my question is: how does "mixed" mode consider detailed external shading?

Thanks and best regards,

Verdiana Russo