[TRNSYS-users] Question about windows properties..

Arnaud Candaele arnaud.candaele at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 07:34:57 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I know this kind of question has already been asked, but I can't seem to
find a complete answer, so here it is again, maybe someone can help :

I'm using a window type in a building simulation, and for this I choose a
window from the library "/American/w4-lib", ID 2306. Thiw window type has 2
layers of glass separated by a layer of gas.

My question is regarding the Emissivity properties that can be read :

Emis F   0.840 0.060
Emis B   0.840 0.840

I just want to be sure of what that means : I guess "F" and "B" are for
"front" and "back", but which of these sides is actually towards the
interior of the building ?
Also, which window is on the interior side, and which one on the exterior
side (1st or second column ?) ?

I think that for exterior walls, TRNSYS uses "back" to describe the "outer"
face of the wall (outside). But I also read somewhere (..) that for
instance "Rfsol" (so "front" reflectance) in the window description is also
for the exterior facing side of the window.. In the end, I don't know if
"front" is supposed to mean "interior facing side" or "exterior facing
side".

Also, in the window description, there are dimensions (width, height). In
the Window Type Manager, there are also dimensions taht you can enter ("For
1 glazing module", just below "slope of window"). Finally, in the different
zones of my building where I actually use this type of window, there is an
area which correspond to the area of the window I drew in sketchup.

==> which one of these area is actually used in TRNSYS computation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! I've been looking in WINDOW manual,
as wel in the TRNSYS manuals, I can't find anything in there...

Thanks ,

Arnaud.