[TRNSYS-users] Thermal mass is not considered in Type 56 simulation!!

Amr Alaaeldin Elesawy amraladdin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 08:18:40 PDT 2014

Dear Mehrdad,
Hope you are doing well.

The results you are getting make sense, you have quite a massive and
insulated unit with no ventilation whatsoever.
- When you have massive components in your unit, the fluctuation of the
indoor temperatures reduces a lot, and
- With no ventilation (especially no induced ventilation by night, to make
the night purge ventilation effect), and
- With the insulation, you are reducing the heat exchange between the
inside and outside.
Therefore, these results are normal.

I'm working with multi-story residential buildings, and in the beginning I
had very massive buildings with a fixed ventilation of 0.5 m/s and I used
to get such results, especially that I'm working with hot climates...

I noticed also that we're talking about a temperature range of 12-19
degC... Have you tried to check the results in the summer?

All the best,
Amr

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Mehrdad Farshchi <mehrdadfarshchi at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Dear Jochen,
>

> Thank you for your email. I have modelled and simulated a simple
> rectangular building (15m x10m) in Sydney with Trnsys 17 software. Then
> using the Trnsys library I have edited the building components in order to
> make a heavy weight building as follows:
>

> Floor = BST_H_FLO                   (see the figure attached)
>
> External Wall = BST_H_EXT   (see the figure attached)
>
> Roof= BST_H_ROO                  (see the figure attached)
>

> Although Infiltration, Ventilation, Heating, Cooling and Comfort regime
> are off, the observed thermal lag was very low (less than an hour). Even I
> changed the wall concrete thickness to 0.4m and the result for the air
> temperature (TAir_H_0.4) did not show any changes in terms of thermal lag
> (please have a look at the graph attached)
>
> Tambient: ambient temperature ,
>
> TAIR_H_0.1:  air temperature of air node with above mentioned building
> component and setting and
>
> TAIR_H_0.4 : air temperature of air node with above mentioned building
> component and setting the wall concrete thickness to 0.4m.
>

> I wonder if you could please let me know how to resolve this issue.
>

>  Kind Regards
> Mehrdad
>

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM, hotline <hotline at transsolar.com> wrote:
>
>>  Dear Mehrdad,
>>

>> TYPE 56 considers thermal masses. I can imagine that you’ve set a high
>> ventilation rates.
>>
>> If so, you might compare the surface temperatures or the operative
>> temperature instead.
>>

>> Best
>>

>> *_________________________________________________________________________________________*
>> *_________*
>>

>> *Jochen Lam*
>>
>> TRNSYS Software Team
>>

>> *Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH*
>>
>> Curiestraße 2
>>
>> 70563 Stuttgart
>>
>> Fax:        +49 711 67976-11
>> Email:    jlam at transsolar.com
>>
>> Web:      www.trnsys.de

Amr Alaaeldin Elesawy

*PhD Student | Building Engineering*
*Department of Architecture, Built Environment and Construction Engineering
(A.B.C.)*
Politecnico di Milano, Italy
+39 327 056 0018