[TRNSYS-users] simulating a PV cold storage with ice storage

Ben Heymer BHeymer at ecw.org
Wed Mar 27 10:29:37 PDT 2013

Johannes,

You are not likely to find a proforma for a cooling device that takes the power (the purchased energy rate) as an input. You could modify an existing proforma or write your own, however I think you might find success by combining different proformas in the right combination.

For example, you could choose a cooling device (such as Type42), a part load curve (such as Type43), and a controller (such as Type22) to adjust the load/control signal for the cooling device such that the purchased power approximately matches the available PV power. Or you could use the cooling device proforma as a way to generate the COP and perform the heat transfer calculations separately in a calculator. It will be important to think about how to make the part load operation realistic (on/off duty cycle, staged compressors, variable speed, etc).

Good luck.

Ben Heymer, PE
Energy Engineer | Energy Center of Wisconsin | Madison.Chicago.Minneapolis
608.210.7168 Mobile: 312.315.4783 | www.ecw.org