[TRNSYS-users] Building integrated PV module

D'Antoni Matteo matteo.dantoni at eurac.edu
Mon Jan 7 22:50:49 PST 2013

Dear All,
I am modelling a double-façade in which the outer glass pane embeds a double-glass PV module.
Since thermal (e.g. solar gains coming from the adjacent zone) and energy generation (I want to use the glass-pane temperature as PV cell temperature) issues have to be solved together, I thought that the best approach would be the definition of a new glass pane in Window4, where final optical properties (Tsol, Abs1, Rfsol, Rbsol, Tvis, Rfvis, Rbvis) are weighted on PV cell and glass surface ratios, and in particular:

e.g.      Tsol,final = Tsol,PV * f_PV + Tsol,glass * (1-f_PV)

where f_PV is the PV surface ratio.

Simulation stops with an error and the following error messages are displayed.

*** Notice at time        :         0.000000
    Generated by Unit     :    56
    Generated by Type     :    56
    Message               :  winlib reader: incorrect visual+solar reflection value   -0.482 encountered in Window-ID   4304000 for angle    0 °

*** Fatal Error at time   :         0.000000
    Generated by Unit     :    56
    Generated by Type     :    56
    Message               :  iniglasdata: value negative or greater then 1 for nonvisual absorption W4_front was found after fitting for Window-ID    4304000 : abs_nonvis= 1.3473871218 at angle =          1

Is the approach I followed wrong? Are there different possible ways to following in modelling double-glass PV modules? Which is your modelling experience with these systems?
Thank you.

Matteo D'Antoni