[TRNSYS-users] TRNFLOW : air supply problem

Arnaud Candaele arnaudcandaele at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 08:17:41 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I have a little problem with TRNFLOW. I have a small house, in which I want
to bring fresh outside air in some rooms, and extract used air from wet
rooms.
For this, I firstly used the "Ventilation Type" Manager to bring air in my
rooms.

My first question is : can I also extract air from a room with the
Ventilation Type, using a negative mass flow rate for instance ? Or doesn't
it make any sense, since from what I understood, this type only brings air
with outside conditions in the room, and assumes the equivalent air volume
is removed from the room.. (and going "nowhere", so this would only act as
a "gain" depending on incoming flow energy)?

Second, also from what I understood : TRNFLOW can not be superposed to this
Ventilation Type Manager. I explain : In my case, I use TRNFLOW and define
cracks between each room and an external node at constant pressure (I don't
want to include wind effect for now), AND I also use the Large Opening Type
to represent doors between the rooms. Does that mean I can't use the
Ventilation Type Manager ? e.g. can I supply 50m³/h in room1 with the
ventilation type manager, while simultaneously connecting this room1 with
for example room2 with a large opening link ? Or does the activation of
TRNFLOW automatically cancel the Ventilation Type ? Or maybe it doesn't
cancel it but no relation is established between the air supply and the
rest of the TRNFLOW model ?

To summarize, my last and real question would be : how can you model air
supply/extraction in some rooms while using TRNFLOW ? Do we have to create
an auxiliary node with outdoor condition and link it with a fan to the zone
in which we want to supply air ? Isn't there a simple way to just impose
constant (or scheduled) air supply in a room while using TRNFLOW ?

All these questions raised because I had some weird comportment, and I thus
tried to monitor air flow in some rooms.. and it stays constantly at 0.

Thank you for your help,

Arnaud.