[TRNSYS-users] How to implement generic days from different locations in one weatherfile?

Philip Horn philip.horn at ise.fraunhofer.de
Fri Oct 12 05:43:54 PDT 2012

Dear All,

I am trying to generate a set of "sample days" to represent 6 month
(May-October -> the cooling period)  at 3 different locations (Antalya,
Madrid, Würzburg).
therfore I compare the weatherdata and use a certain percentage of mean,
peak, and lowest temperature and radiation from all locations.
With this I extracted 25 days that represent most common
weatherscenarios for thos 3 locations in that period of time.

The problem now is, if I want to use this generic weatherfile
(conatining single days from different locations and different month)
how can I link it to Type 16?

Type 16 needs the information about the location (ONE!!) and about the
simulation starting time in order to calculate the suns position for
each timestep.
Obviously this is not possible...

I thought about using the output of Type 16, rather than the bare
weatherfile, to generate my generic days. This can then be fed directly
into the collector....
This will probably work fine but limits my flexibility (i.e. changing
the slope of the collector etc. ...)

Why am I asking this:
I want to generate training data for an artifical neural network.
In order to have a small-as-possible trainingdataset, i would like to
use generic days rather than a huge amount of real data.
In order to generate training data for different systems (but for the
SAME METEOROLOGICAL CONDITIONS) it makes most sense to have a set of
generic days that is representative for the whole range of time and
locations.

Any helpful input highly appreciated!!

Best from Freiburg,
Philip