[TRNSYS-users] correct modelling of brick facade

leen peeters l.f.r.peeters at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:38:16 PDT 2012

Hi all,

when there is a typical construction of an outer wall with inside to
outside:
plaster
brick
insulation
cavity
facade brick

I wonder what the correct approach is...
I generally do not model the outside layer as te cavity is ventilated and
there is no way to know what the ventiation rate will be in the cavity of
my future wall.
However, if I do it that way, I could not leave the emissivity as it is for
the insulation. That emissivity will react with the outside climate. In
reality, it will exchange thermal energy with the inside of the facade
brick, which gives a delayd effect and might be strongly influenced by the
water content of those bricks.

Any suggestions?

Leen