[TRNSYS-users] QALFL calculations for radiant floors

Marie-Claude Hamelin marieclaude.hamelin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 07:48:05 PST 2012

Hi,
I would like to know how QALFL (energy input by fluid of active layer to
active layer) calculations are made. I assume it is something like
Q=m*Cp*(T_inlet-T_outlet)?
My issue is that I obtain a very high value (32,930 kWh) when
calculating energy input to flow from my Type534 radiant floor water
tank, using a Type 28. However, when adding up the QALFL for each of my
three zones, I obtain 9,541 kWh (which is just above the heating load
obtain with an ideal heating system and makes sense).
There seems to be energy lost somewhere between my storage tank outlet
and the floors; however, the tank outlet temperature is directly input
into the active layer.
Can anyone help with this?
Best regards,

Marie-Claude Hamelin