[TRNSYS-users] Trnsed and making simili cycles

Thibaut VITTE thibaut.vitte at h3c-energies.fr
Tue Jan 3 09:10:25 PST 2012

Dear trnsys users,

I'm struggling with a trnsed application regarding defining a building's
envelope. I want let the user add walls when one after the oether to
define the envelope.
I  use the following scheme with checkboxes involved :
     input wall 1
     Uw1, Area_w1
     Do you want to input another wall ?

         Input wall 2
         Uw2, Area_w2
         Do you want ton input another wall ?
etc.

It seems to me that this is the most user friendly way to make a
simili-cycle in trnsed. I managed to code it in Trnsed language.
But now I'm struggling with the trnsys code. I did'nt think of that
before but here's the problem : I don't know how many walls are to be
inputed !

The problem can be simplified like this : I want to calulate a mean
value for 1, 2 or 3 values.
First Group:
A=10
2nd group
B=5
3rd group
C=6

I can calculate each time the mean value :
First Group:
A=x
M1=A/1

2nd group
B=y
M2=(A+B)/2

3rd group
C=z
M3=(A+B+C)/3

But the problem is: If I want to reuse that mean value as an input for
another component, how do I do? If I use an equation I will
automatically call an input that does'nt exist if there are only 2
values for instance. If I define the 3 values for each group  and
calculate the mean at the end like :
First Group:
A=x
B=0
C=0

2nd group
B=y
C=0

Then I get an error because I define an value twice ! In fact that was
the way I thought of firstly... I think I mixed coding in Trnshell and
in Fortran in my head..

So do you see a way to get the right "mean value" (ie the right overall
heat transfer coefficient in my case)? It can include to write a piece
of code, I thought of that solution but I don't see neither how it can work.

I hope I//'ve been clear enough !
Happy new year to all Trnsys users.

Thibaut