[TRNSYS-users] TRNSYS-MATLAB Type 155 multiple sessions

Adam Rysanek amr63 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 28 02:20:23 PST 2012

Dear Hermann,

Many thanks for your e-mail. I had come to the same conclusion as you,
and also started looking at the Type 155 source with a lot of
frustration. Soon after my e-mail, though, I very accidentally fell onto
an alternative solution that has worked for me. The trick to solving the
problem is partly in your e-mail. However, instead of "engOpen" being
limited to one "host", in fact it is only limited to one user "session".
In other words, on a PC (Windows XP/Vista/7) with X numbers of users,
there can be X number of concurrent TRNSYS-Matlab(Type155) sessions -
one per user.

Although it would seem troublesome to have to create dummy users in
order to run TRNSYS-Matlab simultaneously, it is not as hard nor
impractical as one would think. Below I write an example for my Dell
T7500 with 12 available processing cores. I am using Windows 7, but I
believe the process should be similar with other version of Windows.

1) Patch your version of Windows to allow for concurrent user login.
This is necessary if you are not running Windows Server. The best way to
find more on this (and download the patch) is to Google: "concurrent
user Windows <your version>".

2) For every number of desired TRNSYS/Matlab sessions, create a dummy
user. I called mine: TRN1, TRN2, TRN3, etc... each giving them the same,
simple password. I have not found a way to automate this process, but
one must only do it once!

3) For every number of sessions you would like to open, create a task
for it in Windows Task Scheduler. This can be automated from the command
prompt using the built-in tool "SCHTASKS". An example command would be:
"schtasks /create /tn /sc onstart TRN1 /tr 'C:\TRNSYS17\Exe\TrnExe.exe
C:\Model\Model1.dck /n'.
In this command, the task TRN1 is programmed to run only when the
computer starts. This is just a place-holder. A future command will be
sent to run the task on-command.

4) Run each task remotely for each user. This can also be automated from
the command prompt using "PsExec" (there are equivalents for Linux and
OSX if you want to run your simulations from a separate PC). Google
"PsExec" for documentation and download instructions. An example syntax
for running a single TRNSYS run on the local machine: "psexec
\\localhost -u TRN1 -p TRN 'SCHTASKS /run /tn TRN1' ".

This is the basic procedure, and it will likely need tweaking for
whatever system you may be operating. However, if the question is
ultimately whether a single PC can automatically run multiple instances
of TRNSYS-Matlab, the answer I found is 'yes', and only with a bit of
extra work.

In my case, I have written a C++ script that automates the configuration
of my .DCK and Matlab .M files, and automates the management and
execution of individual tasks.

I hope this guidance helps you and anyone else who wants to tackle this
problem in the future without editing the Type 155 source.

Cheers,
Adam

--
Adam Rysanek, B.ScE., M.Sc.,
PhD Candidate

Energy Efficient Cities initiative | EECi
Department of Engineering
University of Cambridge
Cambridge CB2 1PZ
United Kingdom