[TRNSYS-users] TRnsys3D skecthup plugin

Marcus jones.0bj3 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 04:49:41 PDT 2011

Hi Matt,

I didn't CC the list on my response to Thibaut, so I'll weigh in on the
issue now. I have to echo this frustration with the plugin! I can vouch for
others that have used it as well in saying that the risk of crashing the
plugin / problems in reloading models / other bugs is quite high, especially
for anything above a few zones. Maybe we are using the plugin incorrectly,
maybe it's specific to our machines or applications. Has anyone done any
user feedback survey?

More generally, I am wondering what the future of the plugin is. I don't
understand the decision to create a new plugin that is incompatible with DOE
OpenStudio, which has lots of funding and is continuously being improved. I
would like to just import my OpenStudio generic .IDF or .OSM file into
TRNSYS! The latest OpenStudio from NREL (0.40) is drastically better in
stability and features when creating an .IDF. It can i.e. do geometry
matching automatically (as the prerequisite for surface matching), which is
critical for 10+ zones in a project, and future release will have ie/
radiance export. Is TRNSYS going to maintain this independant development
path for TRNSYS 3d?

More complaining: It is also cumbersome to change the geometry once the zone
definitions are complete in TRNBLD. I would like to do this
programmatically, in a script. This is important for parametric study or
geometry optimization when analyzing hundreds of variants. Has anyone out
there succeeded in using "trnsidfup.exe"? Any chance that this conversion
could be made open source? I guess it's just a perl script compiled to EXE?

Thanks!

Marcus
--
Marcus Jones,  M.Sc., LEED®AP BD+C