[TRNSYS-users] Radiant floor in basement - temperature too low

Marie-Claude Hamelin marieclaude.hamelin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 06:45:35 PDT 2011

Hi all,
I'm am having an issue with a radiant floor (active layer) in the
basement of a house I have modelled. When adding a radiant floor in the
basement, the temperature in this zone drops during the summer. I get
floor temperatures from 17.5 to 20.5 degrees, and air temperatures as
low as 17.5 degrees. The same basement without radiant floor (but same
materials and insulation for the floor) yields summer air temperatures
that do not go below 20 degrees.
I have tried numerous things: using an internal calculation for
convection coefficient as well as a user-defined one, segmenting the
active layer to lower the minimal flow rate (and using that minimal flow
rate in the constant part of my flow rate equation), playing with the
inlet temperature, changing the timebase to match my time step (0.5 hr).
My floor is 9.8 cm of concrete with 5 cm of polyurethane underneath it
(0.8 mm of concrete below the active layer and 9 cm above).
Does anybody have an idea of why my radiant floor seems to loose so much
if the room's heat to the ground?
Thank you very much for your help,

Marie-Claude Hamelin
Concordia University