[TRNSYS-users] TRnsys3D skecthup plugin

Matt Duffy duffy at tess-inc.com
Sun Oct 9 15:25:12 PDT 2011

Hello Marcus,Thank you for the email and your input. I apologize for the delay as I have been out of the office.  I am sorry to hear that you have not had much luck with the plugin. I would recommend my list of tips/tricks with the plugin. There’s not much else that I could tell you without looking at your model. I am not sure if Transsolar has done any user feedback with the plugin.  The TRNSYS3D plugin was essentially created out of necessity for one of Transsolar’s project.  I am not sure of their future plans with the plugin. Perhaps they will shed some more light on this next month at the TRNSYS User Day in Stuttgart on November 18th.    For your question about changing the geometry, yes, we also do this all the time with the ‘File - Hi Matt, I didn't CC the list on my response to Thibaut, so I'll weigh in on the issue now. I have to echo this frustration with the plugin! I can vouch for others that have used it as well in saying that the risk of crash!
 ing the plugin / problems in reloading models / other bugs is quite high, especially for anything above a few zones. Maybe we are using the plugin incorrectly, maybe it's specific to our machines or applications. Has anyone done any user feedback survey?  More generally, I am wondering what the future of the plugin is. I don't understand the decision to create a new plugin that is incompatible with DOE OpenStudio, which has lots of funding and is continuously being improved. I would like to just import my OpenStudio generic .IDF or .OSM file into TRNSYS! The latest OpenStudio from NREL (0.40) is drastically better in stability and features when creating an .IDF. It can i.e. do geometry matching automatically (as the prerequisite for surface matching), which is critical for 10+ zones in a project, and future release will have ie/ radiance export. Is TRNSYS going to maintain this independant development path for TRNSYS 3d?  More complaining: It is also cumbersome to change th!
 e geometry once the zone definitions are complete in TRNBLD. I would l
ike to do this programmatically, in a script. This is important for parametric study or geometry optimization when analyzing hundreds of variants. Has anyone out there succeeded in using "trnsidfup.exe"? Any chance that this conversion could be made open source? I guess it's just a perl script compiled to EXE?  Thanks! Marcus-- Marcus Jones,  M.Sc., LEED®AP BD+C Freelance energy consultantVienna, AustriaOn Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Thibaut VITTE >;thibaut.vitte at h3c-energies.fr