[TRNSYS-users] thermal resistance of external shading device

Antoine Gautier antoine.gautier at solamen.fr
Mon Oct 31 10:35:35 PDT 2011

Dear all

I use the surface output Uwin to assess the thermal impact of an external
shading device.

As you know the thermal properties entered for the shading devices are
effective only if a shading device is actually defined for the window in the
zone description.

I get the following results whereas I specified DeltaR = 0.06 m2.K.h/kJ in
input. Does anybody understand this better than I do? i.e. why does the
shading factor modify the thermal impact though the shading device is only
active during periods of time with zero irradiation? Why do I not get the
expected DeltaR in output but half the value?

Shading factor  - Uwin w/o shading - Uwin with shading [kJ/h.m2.K] - DeltaR
[m2.K.h/kJ]

1          - 4.93 - 4.22 - 0.034

0.75      - 4.93 - 4.36 - 0.027

Thanks for your help