[TRNSYS-users] Modeling District Thermal System

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Thu Oct 27 13:15:57 PDT 2011

All,

I'd like to model a 1,000 meter long pipe that connects into an existing district thermal system.

I have a three different potential configurations to model.

1)      A double wall / direct bury pipe

2)      Pipe in a box conduit

3)      Pipe in a utility tunnel

I assume my best bet is to use either Type952 or Type 951 for buried horizontal pipes. Then adjust the heat transfer losses for each configuration.

I could also just use a regular pipe, Type 31, and have a surrounding air temperature some temperature above ambient.

Any thoughts?

Fred

Fred Betz  PhD., LEED AP
Sustainable Systems Analyst

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1175 | F: 608.238.2614
fbetz at aeieng.com<mailto:fbetz at aeieng.com>  |  www.aeieng.com<http://www.aeieng.com/>