[TRNSYS-users] Problem with View-Factor Matrix and detailed radiation mode

Damien Gondre damien.gondre at insa-lyon.fr
Mon Nov 21 02:35:18 PST 2011

Dear Trnsys-Users,

I try to model a double-skin facade on Trnsys, using Trnsys3d, the multiple
nodes feature and Contam.

The double-skin facade is a 1.2-meter wide and 2.8-meter high zone that is
split vertically in four 0.7-meter high zones separated by virtual surfaces
that are not imported in TRNBuild. I have imported the SketchUp model into
Trnbuild. I have moved the nodes of the double-skin façade into one single
zone.

*I have set the radiation modes to “detailed model”* (for beam, diffuse and
longwave radiation) only in zones where I want to perform detailed
radiation calculation. So I think I’m all set to generate the view-factor
matrix file but TRNBuild doesn’t calculate it: I don’t get any error when I
click on *Generate* < *Generate View-Factor Matrix* but* there is no
matrices in the *.vfm file that is generated *(only zones ID numbers and
names, and a 0 below each line – see attached file: *it looks like detailed
radiation mode is not selected in any zone*).

I use Trnsys 17.00.0019, Trnsys3d version 1.0.5.2 and TRNBuild 2.0.167.

I’m sure I’ve done something wrong but I can’t find my mistake in the
user-guide or in the trnsys-users archives.

*Does someone know how I could generate proper view-factor matrices?*

*I’m also facing the same problem with the shading matrix*. I defined
a shading group in Trnsys3d but it seems like TRNBuild ignore it when
calculating the *.shm file: “*No window is shaded. Therefore no
shading matrix file *.SHM is written!*” (even if I’m pretty sure
several windows are shaded).

I tried to compare my *.bui file to the *.bui file in the
*3D_Building* example folder. I noticed that *there is a missing part
in my *.b17 file* in the section *_EXTENSION_BuildingGeometry _*.
Indeed the _EXTENSION_BuildingGeometry_END_ statement comes right
after the description of the vertices. There is no part with
description of vertices used by each wall of each zone like in the
example file:

*zone EG_GB*

*wall 1 1 2 3 4*

*wall 2 5 6 7 8*

*[…]*

*
*

I also noticed that when I try to update the Trnsys3d file to go back
in SketchUp, description of surfaces comes with description of zones
only for virtual surfaces so that when I open the updated Trnsys3d
file in SketchUp, only virtual surfaces are drawn.

I think these two comments might help solving the problem.

Any idea would help,

Thank you,

Damien.

Attached: *.idf, *_b17.idf, *.b17, *.vfm, *_shd.log, *_updated.idf