[TRNSYS-users] reporting possible TRNSYS3d bug

Avesani Stefano stefano.avesani at eurac.edu
Thu May 26 08:48:01 PDT 2011

Thanks Matt,

All clear!

All the best

stefano

From: Matt Duffy [mailto:duffy at tess-inc.com]
Sent: mercoledì 25 maggio 2011 23.12
To: Avesani Stefano ; trnsys-users at cae.wisc.edu
Subject: RE: [TRNSYS-users] reporting possible TRNSYS3d bug

Dear Stefano,

Please see my comments below in green.

Best regards,

Matt Duffy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Avesani Stefano" <stefano.avesani at eurac.edu>
Sent: Tue, May 24, 2011 10:07

Hello Matt,

If you say so concerning *.skp and *.idf, I guess I did a mess with the *.idf !

Please find it attached.

 I noticed a couple of issues with the two 'underroof' zones on top of the building. First, make sure the surfaces are pointing out (the brighter/bolder surface pointing out); you implemenent this by right-clicking on the surface and going to 'Reverse Face'. Also, the adjacent wall and adjacent window shared by those two zones are not yet 'Adjacent' in TRNSYS3D, so please make sure that is changed.

Three questions now:

-          How can I understand whether the *.idf is well done (just importing it in TRNSYS or also opening it as text?)?

 Import the *.idf into TRNBuild first to see if there are any problems.

-          Just to start correctly next time: it doesn’t make any sense, creating the building as *.skp and then drawing the TRNSYS zones (generating the *.idf) as “geometric carbon copy” of the *.skp geometry, right?

 I would not bother with the *.skp geometry. I only work in the TRNSYS3D *.idf to avoid any problems.

-          in zoning process, facing convex zones is really frequent (for example following the shape of flats within a multifamily house).

In order to create a detailed model following the apartments shapes (well zoned building, high number of zones, high simulation times), the only solution to represent correctly the “convex” apartment is to create 2 no convex zones separated with a full glazed, no resistance wall, setting then an high flow rate between the two zones?

 Do you need to go into that much detail with your building to implement the detailed radiation mode? I believe now or in the next version that TRNBuild now allows some convex zones for the detailed radiation modes. Otherwise, your methodology sounds good as well.

Thanks a lot,

With best regards

Stefano