[TRNSYS-users] Type553 Unglazed Collector Theory

Nicholas LaHam ndlaham at gmail.com
Fri May 20 08:07:41 PDT 2011

Hey Jeff,

I changed the time step and tolerances and still see the same trend. Here is
what I changed them to. The simulation took about 5 times longer.

Time Step: 0.01 [Hour]
Tolerance Integration: 0.000001 [-]
Tolerance Convergence: 0.000001 [-]

Also so you know, I attached the TRNSYS schematic of what I ran. A very
simple system for testing as you can see. I set a constant flowrate of 5 gpm
on the load side of the HX that never changed, and I varied the source side
from 3 gpm to 12 gpm over the course of 6 trials. The HX is also 100%
effective for testing purposes, but the same trend occurs with
any effectiveness under 1.

I attached a pdf of the results if you want to take a quick look. The
numbers from the default tolerance test and tighter tolerance test are
virtually the same, and show that same trend: the performance of the
collector and the heat transfer in the HX increase from 3 to 5 gpm, and
decrease from 5 gpm and up.

This does not happen when do not use a HX.

Is this what the trend should actually be or is TRNSYS (or me) doing
something weird?

Thanks for any help Jeff. I appreciate it.