[TRNSYS-users] TRNSYS and GENOPT

George Kyriakarakos gk at aua.gr
Thu Jun 16 08:26:38 PDT 2011

Dear all,

I have been using the combination of TRNSYS 16 with TRNOPT and GenOPT
successfully for a long time for the sizing of renewable energy sources
systems. All this time I usually had 2-8 variables for optimization. Today I
wanted to optimize a system with 11 variables. I can add the variables to
TRNOPT and then I can run GenOPT. The problem is that the cost function
gives a result always between 0 and 1, where it should give a much higher
number (the cost function is an equation in TRNSYS). If I modify the TRNOPT
file to optimize 9 variables, leaving the rest the same, the cost function
is then calculated and depicted in GenOPT window correctly. If I add one
more variable then the problem occurs.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Is there any workaround?

Thank you in advance for your answers,

George Kyriakarakos, Agricultural Engineer

MSc Energy Systems & Renewable Energy Sources

Agricultural University of Athens,

Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering

Iera odos street, 75, Athens 11855, Greece

Tel. +30.210.5294046 (direct), Fax: +30.210.5294023

Mobile +30.6942.046895

e-mail: <gk at aua.gr>