[TRNSYS-users] external shading factor (multizone building)

Nikolai Artmann nikolai.artmann at 3-plan.ch
Tue Nov 9 07:56:20 PST 2010

Dear Knut, dear Joke

A g-value is always defined for a shading device in combination with a
glazing. As the g-value includes the heat flow from the internal surface
(glazing) to the room, a definition of a g-value of a shading device
without a glazing does not make sense.

In TRNSYS the shading device is modeled by the external shading factor,
which reduces the solar radiation on the window. The heat flow to the
room is reduced by the same factor. So in my opinion Joke's calculation
is correct:

external shading factor  =  1 - (gwindow+shadingdevice / gwindow)

Best regards

Nikolai

Nikolai Artmann

3-Plan Haustechnik AG, Winterthur