[TRNSYS-users] Climate reference year: illuminance

Joke De Beuckelaer joke.d at vkgroup.be
Mon Mar 22 04:31:05 PDT 2010

Dear Trnsys-users,

I'm looking for a method to define the illuminance (lux) in a zone. The purpose is to know when people put on the lights in a space.

I thought to use an output of type 89b: TMY2 Data Reader.

But I don't find some explination about some outputs. So I don't know for sure what the difference is between the output 'direct normal illuminance' and 'global horizontal illuminance'.  Or does anyone suggest to use another output or method ?

Further when I plot these outputs the results seem to be extremely low : the maximum value over one year is 935illuminance for the direct normal illuminance and 970illuminance for the global horizontal illuminance.

To end a question to be sure : the unity illuminance is equal to lux ?

Thanks in advance,

  Joke De Beuckelaer
  project engineer